This weekend was spent at the awesomeness that is WHW in Nottingham. The meet's turn out was not as good as it has been in previous years, being only fifteen members show up over the entire weekend but that did not stop us having a good time. We had pretty much all the 40K stuff turn up with only three Fantasy armies making an appearance (including my dwarfs). I would have liked/expected more Fantasy but never mind.
I managed to get two games in, one against an odd Beastmen list and one against my hated foe the Orcs and Goblins.
His list consisted of a sort of spam list with lots of small units of centigor, some chariots and dogs. Needless to say I had deployed my entire army before his actual units had even touched the tabletop. This led to his doing a refused flank and having his centigor roll up and sweep across. It did not end well for the bearded warriors. Some highlights were...
- Him using all his dice each turn to summon a gorgon on at my table edge. It got off once and was promptly organ gunned off the table (10 hits), but his shaman survived the five toughness tests with a single wound left.
- The organ gun seeing off harpies, spawns, a gorgon and some dogs. Not bad for 120pts.
- The doombull munching it's way through my units an me failing to even drop a few wounds on the beast.
- A cannon shot overshooting the doombull sat in the open on its own and only smushing a single centigor.
- The hammerers killing off two chariots and the BSB before failing their stubborn roll and being run down.
I learnt some stuff in this game. Being as it was my first ever 8th edition game, I feel I did not do terribly. I was guessing too close to models for the cannon shots and overshooting them, or in two separate cases hitting them but failing to do anything but a single wound to them! Sucks.
Orcs and Goblins
This list was a lot of units. Large blocks of goblins, some orcs and he was trying out some black orcs. Overall I felt that through most the game I was not standing a chance. Some fanatics battered up some hammerers my longbeards were munched on by black orcs and trolls in the flank. My war machines exploded both turn three. Overall it looked dire, having only a weakened hammerer block, some warriors and a few remaining dwarfs from my missile units. Then his black orcs got a front charge on my warrior block. Heroes of the game.
- His black orc warboss had the Battleaxe of the last Waaagh, so was in every fight hitting me with between seven and eleven attacks that would be killing me on twos. He'd kill make three dwarfs, if he was lucky.
- My reply against some wounds from the black orcs was to kill eleven - the unit barring the BSB and lord - who then failed their break test and was run down by warriors. This saved me the game and actually put me up to 382 points ahead.
- Three fanatics hot my lines, went through two units and killed a total of three dwarfs.
- The doom diver hot every time, killed a single dwarf every time.
- Goblin hordes got smashed in combat, then broke but outrun the dwarfs. A theme of the game, my inability to roll higher than four for my pursuits.
The rest of my weekend was taken up by watching the 40K games and wishing I had brought my Orks. So I took a load of pictures instead (album at the end). Our yearly raffle was a great success, raising £70 for the prizes, most of which wnt to the guy who brought £28 worth of tickets! Overall, despite to low turn out it was a great weekend, and I look forward to next year.
The LO Meet 2011